Hull’s Market Place is reported to have sold local fruit as early as the 16th Century, at the North End (what is now known as Lowgate). From 1888, it was also sold in a wholesale fruit and veg market on Corporation Field, off Park Street, until the 1960s.
As Hull grew beyond the town walls, small fruit traders set up all over the Old Town, many near the River Hull wharves. When new docks were built in the early 1800s, including Humber Dock in 1807, the traders gathered around the south and west of the Old Town, once known as the South End.
Hull’s trade and maritime boom in the 19th Century caused congestion in the small Old Town docks and the River Hull wharves. During this time, most of the fruit came via the new Albert Dock to the west and was then transported back to the Old Town along Wellington Street and Mytongate.
By the end of the 19th Century, most of Hull’s fruit traders were based in the Humber Street area, where the trade thrived for over a century.
Now Beal Homes are regenerating the old fruit market area and turning it into a beautiful, modern housing and retail park with the goal of building a community and keeping the trading culture of the area alive. Bambu are ecstatic to be supporting such an incredible project as it is perfectly in line with our goal of leaving a positive and progressive impression in the communities in which we work.